How We Can Help
The Conservation Campaign helps you win public funding for protecting your community's land, water, wildlife and historic sites and for creating and improving parks and trails.
We serve a broad spectrum of conservation advocates, from local land trusts to town governments to national conservation groups, who are seeking to secure public financing for land conservation through ballot initiatives and legislation.
We offer guidance, technical expertise and grassroots and Internet tools that can make the difference between winning and losing.
Most often, we work as a team with The Trust for Public Land
, which founded the Conservation Campaign in 2000 to serve as its 501(c)(4) partner in lobbying and ballot measure campaigns. Our expert staff members work in conjunction with local leaders, following a model that has proven to be highly successful in creating public funding for conservation.
LAYING THE GROUNDWORK
- Conduct feasibility research to assess your park and conservation priorities, explore possible ways of financing them; evaluate potential legal issues; research election history, and assess the best path to success.
- Do public opinion surveys to find out the potential level of support for public financing of parks and open space and guide the strategy of a campaign. This includes identifying key voter concerns, designing a questionnaire, selecting a pollster, designing the sample, and analyzing the results.
- Draft the ballot language, a critical element in meeting legal requirements and using the most effective wording for getting voters to approve your measure.
WINNING THE CAMPAIGN
Once your campaign is established, the Conservation Campaign can step in and help with:
- Fundraising, which may include a making a challenge grant to be matched by local donations, as well as helping you indentify and reach out to potential donors.
- Fostering collaboration among supporters by establishing a neutral campaign committee to receive and manage campaign funds or by hiring shared lobbyists, making it easier for like-minded groups to pool resources and work together effectively.
- Developing your strategy, including which voters to target, the most effective message to use and how best to reach targeted voters with the message.
- Providing campaign services, such as producing and sending direct mail and conducting polls, through our national network of vendors and political consultants.
The Conservation Campaign is dedicated to a single goal: winning campaigns that will provide funding to preserve America's best-loved lands and waters.
If you are involved in or are considering a campaign to save your community's special landscapes call 617-367-6200 x532. We can help to make a difference for your community's future.